Re: DCCP module insertion issues

| Our problem is that whatever the available clocksource used (tsc, acpi_pm, pit or jiffies)
| we always have an error and the following message in the syslog :
|
| Timer too coarse (999 usec), need 10-usec resolution - check your clocksource

It is not necessarily only a kernel configuration problem. There are a number of boot command options which also
influence the timer. I have found a useful test to do a "cat /proc/timer_list", on my laptop a ".resolution" of
1 nsecs is reported for both clocks on each core; as 'Clock Event Device', "hpet" and "lapic" are reported.

In my .conf, I have such things as
CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y
CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
(both are available via 'Processor type and features').

A number of people have stumbled over this, but all have been able to get it working with just minor
configuration changes.

Eventually it is planned to get rid of the high-resolution timer support altogether, but it is a big
change, so it may not be in the immediate future. It is not a good idea to disable the warning, it
has been put in after experiencing very strange bugs such as negative RTT values, see
http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=linux-netdev&a=2008-07&m=8081317