Re: dccp bugs (Was: Re: panic on 2.6.24rc5)

Hi Tomasz,

after quite some testing and calculations, my understanding of the
strange behaviour of CCID-3 over loopback is that it is due to the
combination of
 * an application-limited sender (ie. sending rate X_send < s/RTT);
 * very low RTT as compared to inter-packet gap;
 * frequent expiry of the nofeedback timer;
 * the particular interpretation of "idle periods" in rfc3448bis-00.

Hence as you pointed out, the Token Bucket Filter solution will indeed
not cure the problem. Artificially inflating the link RTT, on the other
hand, causes the computation of X to stabilise towards s/RTT.

I have written up the causes etc. on
http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gerrit/dccp/notes/ccid3/ccid3_over_loopback/

This was not easy to do and so I appreciate comments if there are any
errors or misinterpretations.

Gerrit

Quoting Tomasz Grobelny: