Re: RFD: Ack Vectors

Quoting Ian McDonald:
|  > With regard to the Ack Vectors, my suggestion however is
|  >  * to remove the sysctl - it is confusing;
|
|  Agree in current form provided the next bullet point is carried out.
|
|  >  * to make the use of Ack Vectors dependent on the current RX CCID;
|
|  It should be on for CCID2, off for CCID3. It is required for CCID2
|  according to RFC4341. It is optional for CCID3 according to RFC4342.
|  However last time I checked with our CCID3 it breaks it. I haven't
|  checked recently though....
|
|  >  * the TX CCID need not be considered for the Ack Vector allocation, since the `Send Ack Vector'
|  >    feature is server-priority (RFC 4340, 6.4) and thus negotiated by the side which has the RX CCID;
|
|  OK.
Omission on my side - I have just checked and found out that the negotiation of the "Send ack vector
feature" is not yet implemented. It is not something which can be done with a hack, since the CCIDs
can also be negotiated, so that enabling Ack Vectors depends on the end result of negotiating the
CCID.
I think at the moment we should add this as a ToDo. If I get some time I'll try to implement the
above, but it is more work than anticipated and so depends on available time.

|  >  * optional and for debugging: disabling of Ack Vectors in the Kconfig menu.
|  >
|  This implies it is on by default. I think it should be off by default
|  for CCID3.
This is resolved, since the Kconfig implementation was quite cleverly done (not by me):
config IP_DCCP_CCID2
        tristate "CCID2 (TCP-Like) (EXPERIMENTAL)"
        depends on IP_DCCP
        def_tristate IP_DCCP
        select IP_DCCP_ACKVEC

=> When CCID2 is enabled, then support for Ack Vectors is automatically compiled in.
   (I would like to return in the discussion to the `Null CCID' issue and will send RFC).

As said, auto-disabling Ack Vectors depending on the CCID is a bit more complicated than
anticipated.

|  The information is not actually needed from an ack vector
|  and actually creates more traffic. It seems like
|  draft-kohler-dccp-ccid3-drops-01.txt is a replacement for ack vectors
|  in CCID3 if you need extra info.
Never figured that one out - doesn't the Data Dropped option do the same thing?
-