Re: DCCP performances

Hi there Patrick,

Sorry to take so long to reply.

As you correctly point out debugging and probing slow things down.
Unfortunately with any debugging tool there are side effects which
can, at times, render things useless - a bit like Schrödinger's cat.

So use this for debugging when you need, or get a faster machine to
keep up with the debugging. My tendency for high speed bugs is to just
put in printk(KERN_CRIT "blah") into the code when I'm working on a
bug and only spit out the information I want and no other debugging.

Another tool that can be quite useful is to use tcpdump and then
analyse with WireShark (formerly Ethereal). I prefer to directly
capture using tcpdump first as less overhead.

Also in my testing I shut down all unnecessary services such as X,
apache, exim etc as these can have quite an impact on performance. The
biggest impact is if you're trying to use dccp_probe from a graphical
window as opposed to a console.

Anyway I'm rambling a bit and hope this is of some use.

Ian