RTT measurement, CCID3 implementability

- The DCCP specification does not require RTT measurements on every packet exchange.

- It should be possible to use coarse grained timestamps (even jiffies) for most packets, with finer grained timestamps used on occasion, to improve the current estimate; for example, getting the time of day once per RTT.

- Further discussion of precise RTT measurements in the context of DCCP should be accompanied by comparisons with NewReno TCP throughput under the same experimental conditions. (I.e., not CBR traffic as in Gerrit's web pages, and not TCP BIC or CuBIC or any fancier, nonstandard TCP.) TFRC aims to obtain within a factor of 2 of a TCP NewReno sender's performance under the same conditions, and over the long term. There is no point in abstract comparisons. What does a crappy network card do to NewReno TCP? I am curious; maybe things will look bad for CCID3, maybe they will look less bad.

- Gerrit has come to strong conclusions about the "implementability" of CCID3. The evidence is supposedly here:

http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gerrit/dccp/docs/packet_scheduling/
http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gerrit/dccp/docs/impact_of_tx_queue_lenghts/

It's worth looking at these pages once again; the conclusions are far from the evidence. A subset of strategies that have not been considered:

  = Limited Bursts (of more than 2 packets, but less than 10000).

= Other methods of scheduling packet transmissions at sub-timer granularity, other than hrtimers. For example, in response to ack arrival (would be helpful at low RTTs, where acks arrive quickly; in fact, if this was helpful, one might even have the CCID3 receiver send more acks than the minimum required by the spec). Or in a kernel tasklet that might be scheduled only when a DCCP connection wants to send at high rates.

  = Reducing RTT measurements by compensation factors.

  = Accounting for send delay by attaching SKB destructors or similar callbacks.

Many of these have been mentioned at least once in previous emails, and summarily dismissed. Time will tell. It took months for "use the request/response exchange for an RTT measurement" to filter into the implementation, whereupon it was, as a predicted, a useful simplification.

- On 4 October 2006 I sent mail to the other DCCP coauthors wondering whether "a rate as the basic unit of congestion control ...is just too much of a pain in the ass to implement". We will keep thinking about this, and there are alternatives to rate-based CC. As yet it is too early to tell. On the other hand, had we been implementing a modern TCP, I bet Gerrit would declare TCP unimplementable.

Eddie
-