Re: RFC 4342 Erratum: use Request/Response RTT

Hi Gerrit,

I don't actually completely understand where you're coming from. The initial send rate is not 1 packet per second, it is 2-4 packets per RTT, as per RFC4342. So the initial t_ipi is going to be s/X, where X = 2-4 packets per RTT.

If you follow the logic through RFC3448 4.2-4.4, you will see that due to this line,

             If (t_now - tld >= R)
                 X = max(min(2*X, 2*X_recv), s/R);
                 tld = t_now;

(where tld is initialized to -1 as regards section 4.2), the sending rate X becomes 1 packet/RTT (= s/R) as soon as a round-trip time sample is available. The erratum allows the implementer to sidestep all of this silliness by simply starting at X = 2-4 packets/RTT, since the RTT sample is available immediately.

Eddie

Gerrit Renker wrote:
Hi Eddie,

following a discussion with Ian, it became clear that the best way to fix
some of the outstanding scheduling problems is to implement the Erratum to
RFC 4342 and use the initial Request/Response handshake as basis for calculating t_ipi.

I am referring to this posting (sorry the original was no longer in the inbox):
 http://www.mail-archive.com/dccp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg01319.html

and was using the RFC 4340/2 erratum page:
 http://www.read.cs.ucla.edu/dccp/rfc4340errata

Now, having spent almost half a day to come up with a solution for initial RTT
estimates, I found that there are still several things open/unclear:

 * RFC 3448, 4.2 specifies an initial sending rate of 1 packet per second
 * RFC 3448, 4.6 specifies t_ipi = s/X => still gives 1 second
 * I can't find an override-clause in RFC 4342 for this

Question: Is the aim to use section 4.2 of RFC 3448 and if yes, to what extent (this section has quite a few changes to other parts of the algorithm, too).

Can you please clarify, maybe I have got the wrong erratum.
It would be good to have this clear - so as to implement it.

Gerrit
-