Re: PACKET_SIZE option and congestion control on variable-length packets

On 10/4/06, Ian McDonald <ian.mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/3/06, Gerrit Renker <gerrit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> |  > Strategy
> |  > ----------
> |  > 1/ Remove the PACKET_SIZE socket options as they don't help with the problem;
> |  >     I have therefore updated Ian's patch to be used standalone [attached].
> |
> |  NAK this patch. At present it just sets s to be 256 bytes where the
> |  spec says to use the MSS. My patch is not perfect but it is better
> |  than this as it allows you to set the size where you can't at present,
> |  nor with this patch.
> Oops, this is going into an entirely wrong direction! The posting is not about patches,
> it presented a strategy for discussion, and sums up an extract of the reading I have been
> stuck with for a couple of days.

You are posting onto a development list with a patch. Of course I am
going to discuss the patch. If you had posted to the discussion
without the patch my answer would have been very different!

My apologies to you on this. I have just worked through my ideas in
another thread and proved myself wrong.

> 1) The real problem is not in patches - RFC 4340..2 are elusive and in parts outright wrong
>    about assumptions on the packet size. Substantial evidence that for instance using MSS
>    as fixed `s' is detrimental was provided in the last posting.

Agree 100% as you can see in my other posting. I think packet size/sec
is better for CCID3 but not allowed.

> 2) Weighted average was introduced as a strategy to resolve this in an implementable format.

Agree this is better.

By my calculations you don't need to do this now as it calculates the
correct packet sending rate. Would be easy to verify but I don't have
my equipment available right now or the time.

--
Ian McDonald
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4