Re:

On Thu, Dec 7, 2023, at 12:00 AM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> On Wed, 2023-12-06 at 21:40 -0700, Emma Tebibyte wrote:
>> I found a bug in dash version 0.5.12 where when shifting more than
>> ?#,
>> the shell exits before evaluating a logical OR operator.
>
> AFAIU from POSIX this is perfectly valid behaviour:
>
> https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#shift
>
>> EXIT STATUS
>> If the n operand is invalid or is greater than "$#", this may be
>> considered a syntax error and a non-interactive shell may exit; if
>> the shell does not exit in this case, a non-zero exit status shall
>> be returned. Otherwise, zero shall be returned.

See also Section 2.8.1 [*], which states that interactive shells
shall not exit on special built-in utility errors and that:

	In all of the cases shown in the table where an interactive
	shell is required not to exit, the shell shall not perform
	any further processing of the command in which the error
	occurred.

[*] https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18_08_01

--
vq