Changes to job handling cause hangs in wait

Hi,

I’d like to forward a bug report I received. Michael, who reported it,
was able to bisect it to 6c691b3, which was the first of the series of
commits changing job handling.

I must note that I had troubles debugging it: I was only able to
reproduce the issue in an autopkgtest virtual machine, but not on my
normal system nor in a fresh Debian unstable Docker container.

I’m considering reverting some of the relevant commits, but it’d be best
if we could track this down and get it fixed.

The full details can be found at: https://bugs.debian.org/974705

Thanks.

--
Cheers,