Re: dash bug: double-quoted "\" breaks glob protection for next char

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 11:13 PM, Harald van Dijk <harald@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2/18/18 11:50 PM, Harald van Dijk wrote:

>>> It causes preglob's string to potentially grow larger than the original.
>>> When called with RMESCAPE_ALLOC, that can be handled by increasing the
>>> buffer size, but preglob also gets called without RMESCAPE_ALLOC to modify a
>>> string in-place. That's never going to work with this approach. Back to the
>>> drawing board...
>>
>> There is a way to make it work: ensure sufficient memory is always
>> available. Instead of inserting CTLESC, which caused problems,
>> CTLQUOTEMARK+CTLQUOTEMARK can be inserted instead. It's effectively a no-op
>> here.
>
> It required one obvious additional trivial change to the CHECKSTRSPACE
> invocation, but with that added, the attached passed all testing I could
> think of. Does this look okay to include, did I miss something, or is there
> perhaps a better alternative?

I propose replacing this:

                if (*p == (char)CTLESC) {
                        p++;
+                       goto escape;
+               } else if (*p == '\\') {
+                       if (inquotes) {
+escape:
+                               if (notescaped)
+                                       *q++ = '\\';
+                       } else {
+                               /* naked back slash */
+                               notescaped = 0;
+                               goto copy;
+                       }

with equivalent

                if (*p == (char)CTLESC) {
                        p++;
+                       goto escape;
+                       if (!inquotes) {
+                               /* naked back slash */
+                               notescaped = 0;
+                               goto copy;
+escape:
+                       if (notescaped)