Re: Parameter expansion, patterns and fnmatch

On 09/02/2016 09:46 AM, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 09:25:15AM -0500, Eric Blake wrote:
>>
>> 2.13.1 Patterns Matching a Single Character
>>
>> [
>>     If an open bracket introduces a bracket expression as in XBD RE
>> Bracket Expression, except that the <exclamation-mark> character ( '!' )
>> shall replace the <circumflex> character ( '^' ) in its role in a
>> non-matching list in the regular expression notation, it shall introduce
>> a pattern bracket expression. A bracket expression starting with an
>> unquoted <circumflex> character produces unspecified results. Otherwise,
>> '[' shall match the character itself.
>
> BTW, this last sentence is not present in
>
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009604499/utilities/xcu_chap02.html#tag_02_13

That's the 2004 edition (TC1 of the 2001 spec, aka Issue 6).

> So I presume it's a newer unreleased revision.

Newer but released (TC2 of the 2008 spec, aka Issue 7):
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18_13_01

The requirement has been there for 8 years now.

> Seriously, you guys are turning POSIX into a joke by introducing
> all these new requirements.  At this point I think we should
> pretty much give up on POSIX compliance the way it's headed.

I hope you're just stating that out of frustration, and not something
that you actually intend to follow through with.  And if there is a
requirement being considered in the Austin Group that you disagree with,
please speak up on the Austin Group - membership is free.