Re: dash: read does not ignore trailing spaces

2015-12-03 23:04:31 +0000, Stephane Chazelas:
[...]
> > Summarising: POSIX states that "each occurrence in the input of an IFS
> > character that is not IFS white space, along with any adjacent IFS white
> > space, shall delimit a field". This *may* be interpreted to read that a
> > final non-whitespace IFS character denotes an empty final field, because
> > otherwise that final character wouldn't be delimiting any field, but
> > only terminating one. It's pretty ambiguous, though.
> [...]
>
> I agree the spec is not very clear
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.shells.bash.bugs/4825
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.shells.bash.bugs/15768
>
> But see this interpretation:
> https://standards.ieee.org/findstds/interps/1003.1-2001/1003.1-2001-98.html
>
> I can't find the austin-group discussions, but I'm pretty sure
> I've seen several and Chet is refering to one from 2005 over
> there.
[...]

See also:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.unix.shell/krZy2rvnv2g
(Geoff is from the OpenGroup).

I actually was the one raising it for posh. I (and the posh
maintainer apparently) failed to notice that it was applying to
"read" there as well.

--
Stephane