Parameter substitution bug

Strangely I ran across this issue in the real world: A doubly nested
parameter substitution with an inner glob pattern (breath) fails /only
when in double quotes/! That is, these two expressions produce
different results:

Strangely, that is the simplest case I get to fail.

The following script walks through the issue, and if run with bash,
ksh, or busybox exhibits those two expressions as producing the same
result.

- Mark
(Note: Not on mailing list, so please reply all to include me!)