Re: [BUG] dash doesn't report syntax error when it should on stray "fi"

On 4/23/12 3:44 PM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Chet Ramey wrote:
>
>> What are `conforming scripts'?  Scripts without syntax errors?
>
> I meant "conforming POSIX applications".
>
> A patch for this might even be welcome if it makes dash bigger, if
> that's what you're wondering.

The way I read 2.10.2, Posix requires that the "fi" resolve to the
reserved word `fi' in this case, since it's in a position where a
command name is expected (Rule 1, [Command Name]).  I would think that
would make it a syntax error in any application, conforming or not.

Chet
Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    chet@xxxxxxxx    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/