Re: positional argument bug

Eric Blake <eblake@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Also a POSIX violation:
>>
>> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18_06_02
>>
>> "The parameter name or symbol can be enclosed in braces, which are
>> optional except for positional parameters with more than one digit or
>> when parameter is followed by a character that could be interpreted as
>> part of the name."
>
> Additionally from POSIX:
>
> "If the parameter name or symbol is not enclosed in braces, the
> expansion shall use the longest valid name (see XBD Name)"
>
> "In the shell command language, a word consisting solely of underscores,
> digits, and alphabetics from the portable character set. The first
> character of a name is not a digit."
>
> Therefore, in "$10", 10 is not a name, so the longest name is the empty
> string, and the single-character symbol is used instead, such that this
> MUST be parsed as ${1}0, not as ${10}.

I don't think any of this explicitly states that $10 cannot be
interpreted as ${10}.  All it says is that where the first character
is an underscore or alphabetic, then the longest name should be
used, and that to use $10 portably you must put braces around it.

So I'm not going to make any changes at this point.

Cheers,
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>