Re: `local' built-in POSIX?

On 03/26/2011 04:50 PM, Michael Witten wrote:
> I can't find POSIX documentation for the `local' built-in, which is
> available in both dash and bash for the creation of function-local
> variables.
>
> Is it not standard POSIX? If it is not, should it be removed from dash?

No, it is not standard POSIX (yet).  There has been talk on the Austin
Group mailing list of standardizing local (perhaps by the name typeset)
for the next revision; the biggest issue is that ksh uses typeset only
for statically scoped variables, while bash uses it only for dynamically
scoped variables, so a consensus has to be reached among shell writers
which scoping rules to standardize.

--
Eric Blake   eblake@xxxxxxxxxx    +1-801-349-2682