Re: setvar MIA?

On 01/11/2011 08:54 AM, Aragon Gouveia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on making a number of shell scripts cross compatible between
> FreeBSD and Linux, but one thorn in my side has been dash's lack of a
> setvar builtin.  Does anyone know if this is a work in progress, or a
> decidedly void feature in dash?

Decidedly missing.  POSIX doesn't require it.  Neither bash nor ksh
provides setvar as a builtin, either.  And what does setvar do anyways?
 Perhaps it is some alias or shell function that you have inherited from
startup files in one of your other shells, but I've never heard of a
'setvar' program.  So why bloat dash to include it?

--
Eric Blake   eblake@xxxxxxxxxx    +1-801-349-2682