Re: dash -n and -v not implemented?

On 08/23/2010 01:47 PM, Adam Kellas wrote:
Am I missing something, or do the -n and -v flags have no effect? The
following compares the behavior of bash, ksh, and dash (bash requires an
extra flag to suppress startup files):

% ksh -v -n -c uname
uname

% bash --norc -v -n uname
uname

% dash -v -n -c uname
Linux

POSIX states that an interactive shell may ignore 'set -n'; and by extension, 'sh -n' can be a no-op if the shell would otherwise be interactive. But your example is not an interactive shell; and POSIX is clear that both -v and -n must have the same effect as an option to the shell command line as they would have to a use of set within the shell.

I think the absence of handling for both of these options is a definite bug according to POSIX rules on sh.

--
Eric Blake   eblake@xxxxxxxxxx    +1-801-349-2682