Re: Dash quoting bug?

Herbert Xu wrote:
On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 08:32:55AM -0500, Eric Sunshine wrote:
According to the dash manual, within single quotes, all characters are treated as literals (except single quote), which appears to agree with POSIX, so the above behavior seems incorrect.
We need a patch for the dash manual :)
Unfortunately according to POSIX we must interpret these escape sequences:
12682 SYNOPSIS
12683   echo [string ...]
12695     The following character sequences shall be recognized
12696     within any of the arguments:
12703       \n        Write a <newline>.

Thank you for the response and for pointing out this documentation.

I suggest that you switch over printf for portability.  That is,
replace all occurances of
	echo "string"
with
	printf "%s\n" "string

Unfortunately, in this case, a portability requirement to older platforms lacking 'printf' negates the viability of such a solution. As it turns out, however, I was able to resolve the issue by eliminating the need to emit backslashes, thus altogether side-stepping the problem.

-- ES

-