Re: Redirections (Re: Features.)

> > >    5.2 IMHO making user accessible file descriptors in range of [3-9] is
> > >        kind of silly, when open() returns lowest available fd number,
> > >        and shell have no semantics of saying "no, this fd is used
> > already".
> > >
> > >        Making them in higher and wider region, say in [100-255] is
> > >        quite reasonable. Making them as special variables, like
> > >        parameters `$1' are, makes even more sense, thus preventing any
> > >        potential problems.
> > >

> > Everyone is using 3-9 though.  I would suggest just moving the lower
> > limit higher, e.g. 3-99.

I don't know how heavily system() is used. Based on my shell scripting
experience in Debian, i'd say not that much. And i doubt program(er)s
care about having their opened fds above suggested by POSIX number 9
before system().

Of course shell will be blamed, if something non trivial, e.g. opening
and manipulating of FDs other than STDIO[0-2], is being ran.

Realizing this now, i understand why apt-get/C++ and dpkg/C were so
unhappy in some places with my scripting (mainly `geloiwa').
____
-