Re: PAM SASL auth works locally but not with hostname

Hi,

I have been trying to figure this out for a long time now. I am trying to authenticate as a user on the system, and testsaslauthd works locally, but only as the plain username, not with the hostname appended. If I set the client to login without the hostname, cyrus receives it as *user@net* which does not work either. I am not sure how to get PAM to accept a hostname, or SASL to authenticate with only the username.

Whether or how the hostname is used depends on the authentication mechanism.  Some mechanisms may think of it as a host, others as a domain, and yet others may not have a place to pass it.  Using the saslpasswd2 tool, you should set the host as a realm, not as part of the username; but even that may depend on the mechanism you are using; they simply have variable token forms with variable data content.

-Rick