Re: License in new files

On Tue, 2020-04-14 at 18:35 +0100, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> Hi Simo,
>
> On 13/04/2020 15:18, Simo Sorce wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > In https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-sasl/pull/598 I asked a question
> > given I forgot to fix (C) in files we recently merged.
> >
> > The question is simply: what license needs to be set on files?
> > I personally prefer to give a very liberal license like 2 clause BSD,
> > when a non-copyleft work is involved. Generally that license is
> > compatible with anything else already on the work and won't conflict.
> >
> > Is there any rule on (C) on net new files in cyrus-sasl ?
>
> I would just cut & paste license from something like plugins/scam.c (and
> update appropriately):

Unfortunately the text you pasted below is like the original 3-clause
bsd + advertising clause which is a bit obnoxious.

Plus it list the (C) holder as CMU, which is clearly not the case for
software I've written.

I could replace the (C) line with my authorship, but still clause 4
would be clumsy in that case, why would I require people to advertise
CMU as the author for software that was not authored by CMU ?

It'd be much easier if a revised 2 or less clauses BSD was used w/o
advertising and (C) was that of the actual authors.

If I am allowed to do that for the files *I* contribute I'd be all set.

If not it would be nice to have a clear idea of what are the (C) rules
for contributions to cyrus-sasl...

--
Simo Sorce
RHEL Crypto Team