Alternative to default_realm in krb5.conf?

I've read some FAQs trying to resolve the following error:

	GSSAPI Error:  Miscellaneous failure (see text) (unable to find realm of host stub)

They all suggest editing the krb5.conf file to add the default_realm
attribute. Due to some issues with SELinux policy, I'd like to avoid
editing system files in my application code... I've tried using
`krb5_set_default_realm` but this doesn't seem to affect
`ldap_sasl_bind`.

Is there an alternative to specifying the default realm in krb5.conf?
Thanks.