Server ldap/localhost@xxxxxxxxxxx not found in Kerberos database

Hi folks,

My question is with regard to an error that I get on an OpenLDAP consumer server that uses Kerberos to authenticate to a provider:

  slapd[1668]: GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure. \
  Minor code may provide more information \
  (Server ldap/localhost@xxxxxxxxxxx not found in Kerberos database)

Software versions:
  Operating system: Debian 9 (stretch)
  OpenLDAP slapd: 2.4.44
  Kerberos krb5-user: 1.15
  libsasl2-modules-gssapi-mit: 2.1.27~101-g0780600+dfsg-3

There's a Kerberos key table with keys for an ldap/srv4.example.com@xxxxxxxxxxx principal that's used for slapd and k5start is used to to maintain the Kerberos ticket cache for it. That all works fine.

Furthermore, the hostname for the system, srv4, is configured correctly, there's almost nothing in /etc/hosts (just '127.0.0.1 localhost' and a few IPv6 linklocal lines), and the forward and reverse DNS entries for this host all refer to srv4.example.com (for IPv4 and IPv6).

In /etc/default/slapd I was at first using a statement that said:
  export KRB5_KTNAME=/etc/ldap/krb5-ldap.keytab

But, when I couldn't get rid of the error in question, I changed things around a bit and commented out the line or tried this (the default):
  export KRB5_KTNAME=/etc/krb5.keytab

Alas, nothing seems to make a difference and slapd insists on authenticating itself to the slapd provider as ldap/localhost@xxxxxxxxxxx, which doesn't work.

Could this be a bug? If so, this there a workaround?

Cheers,

Jaap

PS -- If I've come to the wrong place to ask this question, my apologies and I would appreciate any hints as to where I should take this instead.