Building Cyrus SASL on Mac OS X El Capitan

I'm new to trying to build my own Cyrus SASL having relied on what Apple provides with OS X. But as Apple seems to want to provide less and less, I've been trying to move all the server stuff I run on my Macintosh to self-built from source. Cyrus SASL is the last piece and I am having no success (I build Postfix with Cyrus SASL for outgoing SASL authentication).

Cyrus-SAL version: 2.1.25 (have tried others with same result)
OS X Version: El Capitan 10.11.2 (had same issue with Yosemite (10.10.x))
OpenSSL version: 1.0.2e (built from source)
Configure command: ./configure --with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl

Make fails with:
gcc -bundle -undefined error -o .libs/libsasldb.2.0.25.so sasldb.lo sasldb_init.lo plugin_common.lo -all_load ../sasldb/.libs/libsasldb.al -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lresolv -lresolv -lresolv -lresolv -lc -install_name /usr/lib/sasl2/libsasldb.2.so clang: error: invalid argument '-install_name /usr/lib/sasl2/libsasldb.2.so' only allowed with '-dynamiclib'
make[2]: *** [libsasldb.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Searching the archives, there was a thread four years ago
(<http://asg.andrew.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.cyrus-sasl&searchterm=os%20x&msg=9765>)
with what seems to be the same problem on OS X 10.7 but other than someone
saying it worked fine for them, I saw no resolution.

Also, why is the install_name specifying /usr/lib when configure, by default, should be putting everything in /usr/local (and I get the same path if I explicitly say --prefix=/usr/local on the configure command). As of El Capitan, Apple's new "rootless" environment prohibits any changes to /usr (other than /usr/local) unless you go through some strongly discouraged steps to turn off that protection.

Thanks for any help.

-- Larry Stone
   lstone19@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx