Re: SASL property for compression layer

On 11/01/2015 03:17 PM, Julien ÉLIE via Cyrus-sasl wrote:
Hi,

I am currently working on implementing the NNTP COMPRESS command in the InternetNetNews news server. This commands permits to start a compression layer (like the COMPRESS command for IMAP).

I have a question about a possible already active compression layer after the use of SASL authentication. Is there a way to check whether a compression layer has been negotiated during SASL authentication?

With OpenSSL, we can use the SSL_get_current_compression() function to see whether a compression layer has been negotiated at the same time of the TLS encryption layer. A similar function could be useful in Cyrus SASL if it does not already exist. (Maybe current or future SASL mechanisms can or will negotiate a compression layer.)

Note: it could be a property like SASL_SSF that InternetNewsNews already checks after SASL authentication to see whether an encryption layer has been negotiated. If the value of that property is >0, the use of STARTTLS is disabled as an encryption layer already exists.

There is no such property defined in the SASL API at this time.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer