Re: New SASLdb mechanism MDB

* Howard Chu <hyc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> >* Howard Chu<hyc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >>Attached is a proof-of-concept implementation of a sasldb plugin
> >>using the new memory-mapped database library (MDB) we've developed
> >>in the OpenLDAP Project. It is probably not suitable for production
> >>use, just posting it now to get early feedback.
> >
> >Impressive read performance!
>
> ;) It is blindingly fast for reads...
>
> >Do you anticipate any special benefits regarding MDB usage for sasldb?
>
> Not really, I'm not aware of sasldb being a performance bottleneck
> in general. (But admittedly, I haven't profiled or benchmarked
> sasldb.) My main motivation is to provide a replacement for
> BerkeleyDB in software that OpenLDAP depends on, to make it possible
> to avoid Oracle licensing ambiguities going forward.

I suspected that and I concur.

> However, the MDB code has the distinct advantage of being much
> smaller and simpler than the alternative, which is always good from
> a maintainability standpoint. The fact that the core code is small

ACK

> enough to fit into a CPU's L1 instruction cache, runs faster, and
> uses less memory, is just icing on the cake.

You might want to inform other project. I've forwarded your message to Wietse
from Postfix. Postfix is not really in need of a new DB backend, and Wietse
wanted a wrapper to make hooking new DB backends into Postfix easier, but you
never know. ;)

p@rick

justified.

saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):