Re: Catch-all: "saslauthd internal error" with kerberos5

On 2/26/2011 10:13 PM, Daniel Norton wrote:
Briefly, this works fine:
$ kadmin -p username -w password

But this fails:
$ testsaslauthd -u username -p password
0: NO "authentication failed"

I found the problem, and had actually seen the solution in this list’s archives:
http://www.irbs.net/internet/cyrus-sasl/0603/0028.html

My ultimate problem was that I was thinking that the domain name for my server principal name could be whatever I chose, and I chose host/example.com@REALM, but the principal name must actually be host/subdomain.example.com@REALM (where "subdomain.example.com" is whatever is returned from gethostname()). It’s obvious, now that I know the solution!

While stepping through the libkrb code I saw quite a number of other conditions that result in the catch-all “internal error” description (many of which could only be divined by stepping through the code), but that’s an age-old problem that’s obviously not going to get fixed anytime soon.

--
Daniel