Removing emails

Hello List,

I had a user send a very large PDF to multiple people and it hosed mail delivery trying to resend it everytime someone stopped the download and would recheck their email. On a LAN it would have not been a problem but on a satellite link, it caused major problems for the remote site.

I found the PDF in the /var/spool/imap/users/domain/<domainName>/<User>/ folder and removed it. Everything is working now but I think that is not the correct way to remove offending email from cyrus. Should I do a reconstruct on each users mailbox to rebuild the index?

What are some of the issues will I run into by removing emails in this manner?

Thanks for any help,

Jon