Re: Can't successfully test credentials I just created

Ann Onemouse wrote:
On Nov 17, 2008, at 3:06 PM, Dan White wrote:
If you want to use sasldb with the SASL library, you probably want to use the pwcheck_method of "auxprop" along with the sasldb auxprop plugin instead.
Well, I'm not attached to any particular password database format, except insofar as I have very limited RAM on the server in question. So I can't afford to run the memory-hogging LDAP server just to serve this function.

Using the sasldb auxprop store shouldn't impose much overhead, since you wouldn't need to run any external servers (saslauthd). Sasldb does not require an LDAP server.

or you could configure your postfix smtpd.conf file like:
pwcheck_method: auxprop
auxprop_plugin: sasldb

smtptest is a great way to verify.
Well, I tried configuring postfix at the same time as SASL, but there are so many interdependent settings, and so much conflicting info on the web about this, that I decided to try to set up one software system at a time, and make sure it works with its own testing tools, before moving on to the next. I am not a postfix guru either, so I'd love to leave the postfix configuration out of this for the moment if possible.

You can use the sample-server and sample-client utilities to verify your configuration before you put Postfix in the picture.

- Dan