Re: Athentication problem

Stephen Liu wrote:
Do you explicitly want to support specific SASL mechanisms (PLAIN, DIGEST-MD5...)?
Sorry I don't follow.  Please explain in more detail.  Thanks

It looks like you have specified PLAIN as your only mechanism within imapd.conf, and I'm guessing you have 'allowplaintext: yes' set as well.

LOGIN is more typical within SMTP connections, so I would add it. I'm not aware of any equivalent 'allowplaintext' option within Postfix. I don't think you need one.

Do you intend to authenticate users like you're currently authenticating them with cyrus pop3?

I don't stick on the method of authentication.  But I do expect that
the authentication will be same on all mail application.

If so, what do your sasl_* config options look like in /etc/imapd.conf?

$ grep sasl_* /etc/imapd.conf
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_auto_transition: no
sasl_saslauthd_path: /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd/mux

You will also need to create a SASL config file for Postfix which matches this configuration, to get similar authentication functionality. Typically, you'd create the file '/etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf' and put these lines into it (I would add LOGIN):

mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
pwcheck_method: saslauthd
auto_transition: no
saslauthd_path: /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd/mux

however, if you are running your postfix chrooted, which appears to be the case, then you'll want to change that last line to:

saslauthd_path: /var/run/saslauthd/mux

- Dan