Re: Outlook 2007 SPA authentification problem solved (NTLM plugin bug)

Hi,

--On 4. Mai 2008 13:10:43 +0200 CHCNET Consulting <office@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've patched the ntlm plugin, to support also Outlook 2007, which uses a
slightly different approach to authenticate. All Outlook versions prior
to 2007 using a two-stage method: first they try to authenticate with the
username and windows domain instead of the maildomain (which of course
doesn't work, unless we have in our sasdb user@NTDOMAIN). Outlook 2007
changed this method to username@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  I.e. the NTLM auth is
sent with username and client domain, where client domain is finally
correctly our email domain!

I don't use Outlook or even Windows personally, so I'm a bit clueless about these things, but: I run a mail server with many users that have that combo. We allow NTLM among other SASL methods. So I'm interested in that patch, but I'm confused. I haven't heard any complaints from Outlook 2007 users so far. The reason may be that they don't use NTLM, I'm not sure. There have been complaints, however, from Vista users. I've been told that Vista requires NTLMv2 by default. I assume that the plugin only doies NTLMv1? Or is that perhaps a misunderstanding?

BTW, I just checked again and found that the issue appears to be with SMTP, not with IMAP. We run sendmail with the same SASL libs, though.

Cheers, Sebastian
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK