Re: How to cvs checkout SASL

Howard Chu wrote:
Yes, but there's a difference between a developer and a package maintainer. Since the configure script depends on specific versions of the autotools, and the requirements differ for different packages, the package maintainers ought to create these files and keep them with the rest of the source code. As it is I have to maintain 5 different versions of autoconf on my machine because of dependencies of this sort.

I understand both positions, and I thing my feelings can be expressed as follows:

If autoconf/automake/libtool had functional backwards compatibility, there would be no need to generated files in CVS. Sadly, they break features on a whim at every single point release. As I see it, there are really only 2 choices:

A) Clearly document the auto* tool versions used for the project and require all developers / testers to use only these tool versions. It would be helpful if the development team use some vaguely recent tool versions (the current auto* toolchain in use for releases is ancient and broken, especially libtool).

B) Re-generate the auto* generated files and check them into CVS (preferably via some automated method to lower developer check-in effort).

(B) will encourage testing. (B) has some modest additional effort on the part of the maintainers. (A) is a purist approach, and places the burden on the testers.

If the maintainers decide to stick to the current plan, please document the version requirements. At the moment I only see versions in doc/macosx.html.

--
Carson