How do I combine the use of sasldb and pam?

I am beginning to think this is the Holy Grail of SASL.

I want to have users with regular system accounts be authenticated against
PAM, and have others in something like sasldb2.  The goal of course is to
not have to create a system account for every mail user.

Using either pam or sasldb by themselves works just fine.

My efforts to find a way to do this by searching Google have been fruitless.

Fedora 6, saslauthd 2.1.22.

Thanks in advance!

Jim