Re: Any info on CVE-2006-1721 ?

Kai Blin wrote:

My question is, what was the attack and how was it
averted by doing this?
-    if (strcmp(realm, text->realm) != 0) {
+    if (((realm != NULL) && (strcmp(realm,
text->realm) != 0)) &&
+	(text->realm[0] != 0)) {
	SETERROR(sparams->utils,....
All I know is from
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2006-1721
How a "text->realm != 0" and a "realm != NULL", could
avert that attack?

The old check causes a segfault if realm was a null pointer on the strcmp() check.

Yes. This could have heppened if the client was not sending the realm= option.

This was fixed with the realm != NULL check.

Correct.

I figure the text->realm[0] != 0 check was just added to avoid a wrong return value on the first use of a context. That's a speculation on my part, though.
I am not sure what was the reason for adding this check, I need to check the code. I wasn't the one who added it and the person who did no longer works for CMU.