Re: loop-aes mathematical strength

Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> 1. Where does the magic 64 come from?

64 different AES keys. First sector uses first key, second sector uses
second key, and so on. As to why 64, and not 32 or 128: Usually 64 expanded
AES keys stay in processor caches, 128 expanded keys probably not.

> 2. Is MD5 remains safe after recent developments in this area?

MD5 attacks that I have seen are such that adversary needs known MD5 state
to attack. In loop-AES v3 on-disk format, adversary does not know the state
before or after MD5 hash. In v2 on-disk format it was possible that
adversary had known MD5 state before the hash.

> 3. Is the usage of the same key over and over is "good enough" still?

One AES key should be ok for 2^64 blocks. After that, probability of
ciphertext collision is too big. Using multiple keys reduces amount of data
per encryption key, and as such, reduces probability of ciphertext
collisions.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-