Re: Any questions about loop-AES?

* ghostviewer <ghostviewer@xxxxxx> wrote:

> >So until the end of the month I'm looking for any questions about
> >loop-AES not covered by the fine loop-AES.README or the FAQ.
> FAQ 17: Which distros include loop-AES?
>
> Perhaps you can point to some source of information about how to
> set up a maschine using this distro's precompiled packages. Maybe
> even to a step-by-step-HOWTO about setting up a laptop computer
> with loop-aes full disc encryption and external boot device. I
> could only find LUKS/dm-crypt based ones. And of course geli(8)
> based. ;o)

I'm working on that, Slackware based only though, to a large extend,
but with the stuff provided one should be able to get work from
there. I cannot encompasse every distro out there (certainly not
SuSE), but the principle is always the same. Also, experience shows
that most troubles come from booting the system, rather than from
encryption troubles. We'll see :)

> Imho the README is fine for linuxfromscratch.org users. Quote from
> part 4 (after patch-configure-make-install util-linux ):
> >> Debian users may want to put mount package on hold like this: ...<<
> ¡No! Debian users apt-got (apt-get'ed?) their well maintained .debs.

If you feel your distro benefits from such feedback, please contact
relevant mailinglists as well.

> FAQ 20: What about logical volumes (lvm) and loop-AES?
>
> Gentoo-wiki link is dead (404)

I know, and saldy there's nothing I can do about it. They opted to
have everything rewritten from scratch instead of keeping good and
valued articles. When I find/get a new link I'll of course add it.

Thanks for your feedback.

--
left blank, right bald
loop-AES FAQ: http://mareichelt.de/pub/texts.loop-aes.php#faq