New Member Intro/file wiping & RAID with Full Disk Encryption questions

Hi All,

I've been lurking on this list for about 6 months or thereabouts.  I'm a relative newbie to Linux in general, never mind Linux crypto.

I used various MS (desktop) products from 1995 - 2007.  From about 1999 each year to 18 months I would try get a working install of Debian and never could! <g>  I even once made it to page 40 of the install manual, but never understood a word of what I had read. :(  Finally I heard a rumour Ubuntu was a distro with an installer any idiot like me could get working, and such was the case.  Being Debian based, of course, I was happy as Larry (as we say in England, from whence I post).

Over the course of the next few months I moved all my machines save one XP machine over to Ubuntu, including getting my first dedicated server installs up and running (which has been much fun!).  18 months later, I'm just getting happier and happier that I made the move as I am finally able to troubleshoot my own problems with some success, etc., and if not, get some usually phenomenally helpful help from the local LUG which I joined.

I now have got my hard drives turned to full disk encryption which is, like, GREAT!  I use the installer routines to get this done.  I was unable (entirely, after spending a week or so trying) to get the servers RAID1 with full disk encryption; essentially faced with a choice of either RAID1 *or* full disk encryption.

My first question therefore relates to whether or not it is actually possible to get an Ubuntu machine RAID1 (and/or RAID5 & 10) with full disk encryption?  Or is the reason I couldn't get this done because it can't be done?!  (I would consider a distro shift, but really, really, really don't want to get off Ubuntu!)

The second question I have relates to which crypto/security software I can use to:

1.  securely delete/wipe/scrub files
2.  securely wipe free disk space
3.  securely wipe a whole partition and/or disk.

I used to use PGP file wiping along with Eraser as the two products to use on MS:  is there any GNU/FLOSS applications available on Ubuntu/Linux that also do this, using a GUI?

Are there any standard tools (think command line stuff) that I can use to the same ends?

ATM I am really looking to simply get back off the ground - the only reference I've been able to find was I believe to this:
http://wipe.sourceforge.net/  But that doesn't seem to be maintained/still in development?

Any suggestions or pointers to either command line tools (standard Unix toolbox?) or even more preferably ATM, something with a GUI would be much appreciated - especially to an application that is being maintained and developed, if the latter be necessary.

Good to be on the list, though I don't understand hardly any of the posts ATM ... I'm trying to learn! :)

Sincerely,

PP

-