Re: loop-aes: problem after repartitioning disk

* Juergen Lemke <lemke_juergen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Until yesterday I had a hard drive with three partitions, one used
> as a root partition encrypted with loop-aes, another unencrypted
> partition and swap space. I had to delete the unencrypted partition
> and divide it into two smaller, separate partitions, which I did
> using cfdisk. As a result, cfdisk shows that the partition
> encrypted with loop-aes changed names from /dev/hda3 to /dev/hda4.

Shouldn't be a problem. I successfully migrated encrypted systems to
different partitions.

> After this change I could not boot my encrypted system from the
> usual usb stick. I booted using a knoppix cdrom, mounted my usb key
> under /boot and edited initrd.conf on the usb key so that it read
>
> CRYPTROOT=/dev/hda4
>
> (rather than /dev/hda3) and then ran
>
> $ sudo ./build-initrd.sh /boot/initrd.conf [this copied a bunch of
> files and only generated warnings about not being able to preserve
> permissions on two files]

which ones?

> $ sudo umount /boot
> $ sudo syslinux /dev/sdc
>
> But this did not work. When I now try to boot from the usb stick, I
> get this message:

Are all the necessary device nodes present in your initrd image?
namely /dev/hdaX and /dev/sdaX

> Where did I mess up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

please post your initrd.conf, if all fails I can clone an initrd for
you with it.

--
left blank, right bald
loop-AES FAQ: http://mareichelt.de/pub/texts.loop-aes.php