Re: the cold-boot attack - a paper tiger?

On 08.06.2008 07:42, Phil wrote:
> This is just semantics:
>
> "cold boot" to me means booting up from zero power
> ("cold") to powering on, which means going via a BIOS
> and full boot sequence, as opposed to pressing the
> reset button which maintains power ("warm boot").

I disagree.

I most cases the "soft boot" (IOW the "reboot"-command) is called "warm
boot"(*), but the software can choose to warm or cold-boot depending on
which method to reboot is chosen (Which i ad-hoc don't know, i only know
there are several methods to accomplish a reboot in software).

If done right(*) IOW "warm" the BIOS can decide to skip part of the POST
which results in bootstraping the OS a few seconds faster.

Wherease when you "cold boot"/hardware reset the POST is identical to
the POST after switching on power.

*:
AFAIK, Linux doesn't do this intentionally. But YMMV.
At personally i haven't seen a Linux-System warm booting for years, or
modern BIOSes don't skip parts of the POST anymore.

Bis denn

-