Re: LVM2 logical volumes on Loop-AES

Fog_Watch wrote:
> mr-nosey ~ # ls -la /dev/mapper/vg-root
> brw------- 1 root root 254, 0 Aug 19 06:04 /dev/mapper/vg-root
> The line in build-initrd.sh read (high levels of guessing going on
> here):
> mknod dev/root b 254 0

That mknod command looks ok.

> I don't know about this.  That lvm2create_initrd script says, "#
> Device-Mapper dynamically allocates all device numbers. "

Then you can remove that "mknod dev/root b 254 0" command from the script,
and change the mount() system call to use a device node created by lvm
command. That is first parameter of mount() system call of build-initrd.sh
(2007-08-17 22:12 version) line 570. As in "/dev/root" ->
"/dev/mapper/vg-root"

> The error returned by the patched script, after entering the password
> for losetup, was:
> "Failed to create LVM2 system dir for metadata backups, config files
> and internal cache.
>
> Set environment variable LVM_SYSTEM_DIR to alternative location or
> empty string."
>
> This appears to be consistent with a line in
> http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/LVM2/scripts/lvm2create_initrd/lvm2create_initrd?content-type=text/plain&cvsroot=lvm2&only_with_tag=HEAD
> "echo "$PRE Remounting / read/write"
> mount -t ext2 -o remount,rw /dev/ram0 /"

Your bootloader may be configured pass "ro" kernel parameter, which tells
kernel to mount initrd file system read-only. lvm seems to want it writable,
so change that "ro" kernel parameter to "rw". If there is no "ro" parameter,
then add "rw" parameter.

I did mention earlier that there is very little space in the initrd. If lvm
wants to write a lot of data there, you may need to increase size of the
initrd. You can do that by changing build-initrd.sh (2007-08-17 22:12
version) line 671 from

y=`expr ${y} + 2`

y=`expr ${y} + 100`

That part of the script computes how big the uncompressed file system image
should be. That + 2 line increases size by 2 KB, + 100 line increases size
by 100 KB.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-