RE: [loop-aes] dev-loop-raid or dev-raid-loop?

> Hi,
> I need to make a RAID5 disk with encryption and I want to
> know if it is possible to use RAID5 on top of six encrypted
> disks /dev/sd[abcdef] -(losetup)-> /dev/loop/[012345]
> -(mdadm)-> /dev/md0. I have made some tests and in my opinion
> (which is proved in these tests) it will be faster than
> standard dev-loop-raid configuration. Are there any problems
> which I didn't realize? Do You have any experience with using
> this configuration?

I have configured a 6 disk loop-AES root encrypted server.
I made two 3-disk raid5 and one raid0 on top of that and the loop-AES
on top of the raid0.

Works fine.

One problem you did not realize: You will have to enter
your password 6 times or modify some script to read it
only one time and pass it 6 times to losetup.
Therefor it makes more sence to have only as many loop
devices as CPUs. If you have dualcore then create two
raid5, put loop-AES on top of each and create a raid0
on the two.

-