parity check in DES

Hello

I have found that DES crypto driver does not do parity check of a key in
des_setkey() function.

I have tried to dig and found that it had parity check before 2.6.13 kernel
(returns -1 if parity is wrong).

May be you know why it was deleted?
I am working on development of new crypto drivers optimized for a HW crypto
module, and just wonder if I need to implement this check or it’s redundant?

Thanks
Andrey Butok