Re: Kernel tainted - no version for "loop_unregister_transfer"

Thanks Jari, but the Makefile's not working for me.  Get:

/bin/sh: line 0: [: VERSION = 2PATCHLEVEL = 60: integer _expression_ expected

repeated a number of times, with no modules at the end.

Jari Ruusu <jariruusu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Phil H wrote:
> After predictable stuffing around, I got a livecd that works. Loop-aes
> worked too, and loop_serpent (all tests passed OK) BUT loop_serpent puts
> the following troubling messager into dmesg:
>
> loop_serpent: no version for "loop_unregister_transfer" found: kernel tainted.
> loop: registered serpent encryption

When ciphers package is built it needs to find previously compiled loop.ko
module at compile time. If it can't find it, then loop_serpent.ko (and
loop_twofish.ko and loop_blowfish.ko) end up having no version info about
exported symbols from loop.ko module.

That is result of mainline kbuild guys doing their best to torpedo
externally compiled modules that depend on other externally compiled
modules.

Anyway, can you try this:

1) Get new Makefile from here, and drop it to loop-AES source directory:

http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/updates/Makefile-20070305.bz2
http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/updates/Makefile-20070305.bz2.sign

2) Copy *.c files from ciphers package to loop-AES source directory.

3) Build new loop.ko, loop_serpent.ko, loop_twofish.ko and loop_blowfish.ko
modules using this command:

make EXTRA_CIPHERS=y

That builds and installs them all together so that version info don't get
lost between two diffrent make invocations.

--
Jari Ruusu 1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9 DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
to find your fit.