Kernel tainted - no version for "loop_unregister_transfer"

Hi

As an exercise I've been putting loop-aes and ciphers into a lived using the 2.6.18.1 kernel.

I rebuilt the kernel and modules with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n, then compiled loop-AES-3.1f and ciphers-v3.0e against these sources, edited the livecd replacing the kernel and modules, putting the loop driver into initrd.gz to get loaded it early in the boot (needed).  Also built the current gnupg2 sources.

After predictable stuffing around, I got a livecd that works.  Loop-aes worked too,
and loop_serpent (all tests passed OK) BUT loop_serpent puts  the following troubling messager into dmesg:

loop_serpent: no version for "loop_unregister_transfer" found: kernel tainted.
loop: registered serpent encryption

Nonetheless it works.  There are no other errors in dmesg.

I know Jari will say not to use this.  I suppose, since the aes cipher doesn't give this message, I could just use that and throw the serpent module away?

Previously I tried the same exercise with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m.  Same error, but also worked.

This livecd does not appear to have a system.map anywhere - could that be related?

Is it related to the (different) kernel tainting error that the Debian people were getting with the ciphers a while back?

Haven't yet tried the other ciphers.