Re: General questions about crypto and also Solaris

Hi Matthias and Stuart -

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

I find that "umount -l" gives a little added privacy.

The "Lazy"-umount erases the mountpoint from the global namespace.
Effectively erasing it from the radar of any process that hasn't
anything "open" inside that particular mountpoint.

Fascinating!  I had no idea such a thing existed.  Unfortunately
there doesn't seem to be any such feature for Solaris x86, which
is the platform with which I am concerned.  A pity, because that
would be ideal -- very clever!  Still, I was also curious as to
solutions with Linux or general Unix, so thanks for the
information!

Stuart Blake Tener wrote:

> With multiple people logged in as root, your system
> administrator should be canned.

It's not that bad.  Just typically one administator - me - on
the system, but the root password is known to others, who might
decide at any time to login and have a look around.  I'd like
to be able to work on various local files and such knowing that
they wouldn't be able to read anything I deem to be private,
should they intrude.

> Now getting a product that is (at least) running Windows and
> Linux, you have the TrueCrypt, and since it is open source perhaps
> it will get ported to MacOS and Solaris.

Interesting; I'd never heard of TrueCrypt, just looked it up,
thanks for the tip.  As it stands I right now I don't know of any
encryption product for Solaris x86, but I dare say there must
be something out there.

Cheers,

Alex.

-