Re: Loop-AES: Question for Password when none is needed

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> autofs(v4) that is included in Linux since i don't know how long.

Here are my kernel config entries:

# CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS is not set

I'm not using autofs

> I could also skip autofs completely and just use udev to start a mount
> after the HDD is connected. But i like the "auto umount"-Part of autofs,
> so that i can just disconnect the HDD, if enough time had passed since
> usage.

BSD amd does auto unmount. For removable devices I use 10 second unmount
delay. Zero problems with BSD amd so far. I have used it for many years to
mount removable unencrypted devices like floppies, CD-ROMs, and USB-sticks.
Little window shows me what automounted devices are currently mounted. I
take a look at that window before I yank a removable automounted device.

> Do you get the password-question on the commandline with an unencrypted
> key-file (with Linux)?

Nope. I tested it using encrypted key files that were stored at beginning of
each floppy. Passphrase to decrypt each per floppy key file was read from
encrypted file system using "mount ... -p3 3<clearpassword" inside a script
that amd runs when it wants a file system mounted.

> If not, then the loop-aes-utils package from Debian-SID contains the bug.

Nope. mount -p3 makes password-question go away.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-