Re: Seeking advice on Loop-AES performance with RAID5/RAID6

George Koss wrote:
> But it all went to hell when I tried the full stack on the six drive RAID5
> or RAID6 array.  Performance for writing fell to a pitiful 15 Mbytes/sec.
> I theorized that maybe the RAID helper thread was thrashing the caches, so I
> reduced the raid array chunksize to 16K, then 8K, then 4K.  This didn't help
> at all.   I increased the drive readahead to 1024 sectors, which seemed to
> help the read performance, but did nothing for write performance.  The SATA2
> drives are already using 16 sector transfers, which appears to be the
> maximum possible.   I've tried ext3, xfs, jfs and reiser3.6 filesystems,
> nothing seems to help.  The best write speed I've gotten so far is 17
> Mbyte/s with RAID6 and 64K chunksizes on a reiser3.6 filesystem.
>
> RAID5 performance is terrible when I stack loop-AES on top of it.   Without
> loop-AES, I'm getting 99 Mbytes/sec Read, and 105 Mbytes Write with RAID5.
> This is the performance level I want to hit, since it's just about right
> when transferring data with Gigabit ethernet.

Part of the reason why loop-AES on top of linux software RAID5 performs
badly is because loop-AES bangs the backing device with page size requests.

Linux software RAID5 wants bigger requests to be able to provide better
MBytes/s values. Partial stripe size writes are performance killers for
linux software RAID5 which has to do 2 reads and 2 writes for each write
request. I haven't looked at RAID6 parity algorithm, but I assume that it
has to read all unmodified data blocks in stripe and 3 writes for each write
request.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-