Huge Problem with cryptoloop and AES: Lost Password

Hi all,

ive a huge problem: i have mission critical data on a 400 GB raid 1. (2x400). I encrypted a single partition spanning all disk space with the following setup:

losetup -e AES256 -C 500 /dev/loop0 /dev/md2

the filesystem of md2 was ext3 or ext2. ext2 most likely.

I stored my 20 character passwords on my palm device only (i know by now that this was stupid!). However, that one chrashed and apparently all data was lost, including passwords. However, i may remember certain details of the password, for example which characters I used not, and how the password ends.

my first question if there is ANY way to recover the data. I heard about cryptoloop being weak, and if i could remember some more details about the password, it could be narrowed down to some characters. For example it begins with letter then a number...

Also, i would like to automate to try different passwords. Is there a program available which does such (brute force) things with the cryptoloop? however I may have to write it on my own if nothing is available. I heard it may be possible to extract some sectors of ext2/3 partitions which are always "zero". Then the decryption can be verified by using such sectors. Has anyone an idea which SECTORS this are on ext2/3 partitions and how to extract them?

My goal is to test the decryption on a faster system, maybe on a cluster system. But ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME. I know the result set is big, but the data is really important...and i am prepared trying to recover it for a long time.

greeting,
L.R.

-