Re: How about deniability? (read:http://www.zdnet.co.uk/print/?TYPE=story&AT=39269746-39020330t-10000025c)

Thomas Weinbrenner wrote:
> The timestamps will show that the files weren't accessed for months or
> even years. And there are also all those logfiles in /var/log which
> include dates. I think there will be enough proof that the system wasn't
> can't be the system you are normally using.

Q:  Why haven't files been accessed for months?
A:  Because file system superblocks contain "noatime" default mount option.

Q:  Why aren't there any log files in /var/log/* ?
A:  Because init scripts have been modified to shred and remove /var/log/*
    and some other files and directories in /var on shutdown.

In addition, a shell script, run as cron job once a week from 'normal' root
partition /dev/hda4, does these: (1) Fsck and mount /dev/hda2 (via encrypted
loop) and /dev/hda1 partitions so that their previous fsck and mount times
are updated on their superblocks. (2) Touch some decoy files and directories
from /dev/hda2 partition.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-